It is helpful to keep track of information such as as you conduct your research:
- Image creator’s name (artist, photographer, etc.)
- Title of this image
- Date the image (or work represented by the image) is made
- Date the image had been posted online
- Date of access (the date you accessed the online image)
- Organization (gallery, museum) in which the image is located/owned (if relevant)
- Internet site and/or Database title
For more information about citation, consult our Writing & Style Guides.
In the place of supplying strict directions on how best to format a citation for certain forms of sources, the 8 th edition of MLA outlines a universal pair of basic tips which can be placed on any supply kind.
The larger whole can be thought of as a container that holds the source within MLA, when the source being documented forms a part of a larger whole. Often, there could be one or more container (eg. A tv show on Netflix, or an e-book available on Google publications).
To cite a picture you aquired online, utilize the italicized image title or description that is general your text, and then cite it utilizing the first take into account the works cited entry.
- The Dream (Rousseau) baffled art experts whenever it debuted in 1910, simple months prior to the musician’s death in September of the 12 months.
- As illustrated in Three Planets Dance over Los Angeles Silla (Beletsky), the trend of ‘syzygy’ is whenever bodies that are celestial into the sky.
Incorporating images in to the text of the paper
- Put the citation immediately below the figure.
- All illustrative visual product (e.g., an image, map, graph or chart) except musical pictures contained in your paper must be labeled “Fig,” assigned lots and offered a caption.
- If complete information that is bibliographical the origin for the dining dining table or example is supplied when you look at the caption, additionally the supply just isn’t mentioned in your paper, you certainly do not need to add an entry for the supply into the a number of works cited.
- Relate to the figure in-text and offer an Arabic numeral that corresponds into the figure. Don’t capitalize fig or figure. (eg. “See fig. 1”)
- Underneath the figure, give a label title and its own matching arabic numeral (no bold or italics), followed closely by a period ( ag e.g. Fig. 1.). Here, Figure and Fig. are capitalized.
- Cite tables and numbers in accordance with regular MLA guidelines except:
- Utilize commas in place of durations whenever citing tables and numbers, aside from the time at the conclusion associated with the citation.
- If you offer complete bibliographic details in a caption, transform the periods ordinarily utilized following the components of a works-cited-list entry into semicolons.
- The medium of book and materials of structure, if vital that you your discussion, might be included during the end of this entry as optional elements.
- Format the writer’s name with all the provided title ahead of the grouped household title, ( e.g. Jane Smith, maybe not Smith, Jane).
- An email on title format: a name is put in quote markings in the event that supply is component of a bigger work. a name is italicized (or underlined if italics are unavailable or unwanted) in the event that supply is independent and self-contained. The name of this container is generally italicized and it is followed closely by a comma, because the information which comes next describes the container. Make use of your most readily useful judgment.
- An email on date placement: For date posted online, stick to the format below. In the event that you would also like to cite the date a graphic (eg. artwork) had been produced, you are able to place that date in a “optional element” spot after the name.
Utilize the format that is following a guideline
- Fig. 1. Author (first, last); “Title”; Container, date, URL; medium (if relevant).
MLA citation example that is in-text
The event of ‘syzygy’ (see fig. 1.) into the evening sky over Chile.
Fig. 1. Yuri Beletsky; “Three Planets Dance over Los Angeles Silla”; European Observatory that is southern June 2013, https://www.eso.org/public/images/potw1322a/; picture.
Utilize the following structure as a guideline
- Writer (last, very very first). “Title.” Container, date, Address. Accessed date.
- Beletsky informative essay outline template, Yuri. “Three Planets Dance over Los Angeles Silla.” European Southern Observatory, 3 June 2013, https://www.eso.org/public/images/potw1322a/. Accessed 22 Mar. 2019.
More assistance with MLA
To get more instructions regarding MLA citation design and its particular core elements, please see the SFU MLA guide, the MLA Style Center, the Purdue MLA guide, or contact your liaison librarian.
To cite a picture you aquired online, utilize the image name or even a description that is general your text, and then cite it utilising the first aspect in the works cited entry and date.
- The Dream (Rousseau, 1910) baffled art experts whenever it debuted, simple months ahead of the musician’s death in September of the 12 months.
Incorporating pictures to the text of one’s paper
- Into the text, relate to figures by their quantity (for example., Figure 1 or Figure 2). Usually do not relate to numbers as “the figure below” or “the figure above.”
- The figure # is because it would appear, numbered consecutively, in your paper – maybe not the figure # assigned to it in its initial resource.
- Quantity the numbers consecutively, you start with Figure 1.
- Each figure will need to have the full entry that is bibliographic your guide List.
- Put the figure near as you can to the right section of text referencing it, unless otherwise instructed by the trainer.
- Centre the image within the paper.
- Give a brief description of this image. The caption should act as both a name and description.
APA in-text citation instance
The trend of ‘syzygy’ (see Figure 1) within the evening sky over Chile.
Figure 1. Syzygy (whenever three or higher bodies that are celestial within the sky) noticeable above an observatory in Chile. From Three Planets Dance over Los Angeles Silla, by Y. Beletsky, 2013, https://www.eso.org/public/images/potw1322a/. Copyright 2013 by Y. Beletsky/ESO.
Utilize the format that is following a guideline
- Creator’s Final Title, First Initial. (12 months of creation). Title of description or image of image. Type of work. Retrieved from URL/database.
- Beletsky, Y. (2013). Three planets dance over Los Angeles Silla. Photograph. Retrieved from https://www.eso.org/public/images/potw1322a/.
- Irish, J. (2019). Sequoia nationwide park. Photograph. Retrieved from https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/destinations/north-america/united-states/61-national-parks-photos/#/giant-tree-trail-sequoia-national-park.jpg.
- Drewes, W. (n.d.). Frog and bugs (no.200). Painting. Retrieved from https://www.si.edu/object/saam_1968.9.50.
- Simon Fraser University @simonfraseru. (2019, January 23). Foggy at the #Burnaby campus day. #sfu#sfugram#university Instagram photograph. Retrieved from https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs_fr0gA-eH/
More assistance with APA
To get more instructions regarding APA citation design and its particular core elements, please see the SFU APA guide, the APA Style weblog the Purdue APA guide, or contact your liaison librarian.
Observe that Chicago design describes two distinct citation styles—Notes/bibliography style and Author/date style—and that this guide covers only Notes/Bibliography style.
Footnotes and endnotes
- Information regarding paintings, photographs, sculptures, or any other artwork can frequently be presented in the writing instead of in an email or bibliography. 14.235
- If note or bibliography entry is needed, proceed with the instructions below.
1. First Name Last title of creator, Title of Perform, date of creation or conclusion, medium, Name of organization, location (if relevant), URL.
As illustrated in Three Planets Dance over La Silla 1 , the trend of ‘syzygy’ is whenever celestial systems align within the sky|The phenomenon of ‘syzygy’ is when celestial bodies align in the sky as illustrated in Three Planets Dance over La Silla 1.
1. Yuri Beletsky, Three Planets Dance over Los Angeles Silla, June 3, 2013, picture, European Southern Observatory, https://www.eso.org/public/images/potw1322a/.